How MyPlate WorksThe MyPlate graphic has sections for vegetables, fruits, grains, and foods that are high in protein, as well as a "cup" on the side for dairy. Each section is a different size and color coded (green for veggies, red for fruits, orange for grains, purple for protein, and blue for dairy) so you can see at a glance how much of these foods to eat.
The plate graphic reminds us of the following nutrition needs:
- Choose variety: The best meals have a balance of items from different food groups.
- Half of your plate should be vegetables and fruits.
- About one-quarter of your plate should be grains and one-quarter protein.
- Drink fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk and water instead of soda, sports drinks, and other sugary drinks.
- Avoid over-sized portions. continue reading article here...