10 Favorite Add-Ins to Yogurt

10:20 AM


This article came from Emma Christensen of theKitchn, a daily publication that shares tips, advice, stories, reviews and recipes on home cooking and kitchen design.  Read on for 10 new ways to spice up your morning yogurt (and why not, go ahead and use the same tips for your morning oatmeal).
2010-05-05-Yogurt.jpg
I've been eating yogurt every day for breakfast for, oh, five years now? Yes, that would certainly get boring after a while - if it was exactly the same day after day! What starts off as a plain bowl of yogurt changes daily as I add in fruit, drizzle on sweetener, or sprinkle something crunchy on top. Here are my favorites!

Personally, I love plain, nonfat, unsweetened yogurt. It's tangy and smooth, and works as a foil for just about anything I feel like putting on top. I go through about one tub every week, scooping out about a half a cup of it every morning.
Just as with salads, I try to have a variety of toppings on-hand so I can mix and match every morning and not get bored. Also like salads, I keep it simple with just a few ingredients each day.
1. Fruit - A crisp apple cut into small chunks or a single banana is my standard, but I like to change it up when fruit is in season at the farmer's market.
2. Granola - Classic with yogurt and with good reason! Granola adds crunch and texture to yogurt. I've been obsessed with this Olive Oil Granola lately.
3. Cereal - When I'm out of granola, I'll steal some of my husband's cereal. (Cheerios are my favorite!)
4. Graham Crackers - Crumbled on top, this is another crunchy add-in.
5. Toasted Nuts and Seeds - I keep a container of toasted mixed nuts in my fridge for both my breakfasts and my salads. Seeds like flax and sunflower seeds are great, too.
6. Honey - My sweetener of choice. I treat myself with good local honey. The flavor is so good that a little goes a long way!
7. Maple Syrup - Less sweet than honey and a good pairing with granola or toasted nuts.
8. Jam - Different flavors of jam add great variety, especially in the winter when the fresh fruit isn't as good.
9. Peanut Butter - This never mixes in completely, and I love getting a little of it in my spoonful every few bites!
10. Cinnamon - A little sprinkle over the top of everything adds a nice spicy-sweet note to every bite.
What do you put in your yogurt?

Best Teen Diets recommends healthy well balanced eating that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein and low-fat or fat-free dairy. We offer nutrition information for teens, parents and educators that emphasizes the importance of healthy eating for teens. For more information visit www.bestteendiets.org

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts