A more uncommon, but beneficial form of exercise

1:38 PM


http://bit.ly/KfdY5t


By Kristi Tamaki, RD / Best Teen Diets Contributor

I myself am not much of a dancer.  It's not a matter of having bad rhythm or being uncoordinated...   I have plenty of instrumental music experience which involved finding a beat, memorizing music, and using multiple pedals (piano is unique in that way).  But I always feel a little bit--okay a lot--awkward at social events such as weddings where I am expected to dance without any sort of dance routine.  It's one of the two things in this world I wish I could do but was not born with the natural talent for (singing is the other).  

The desire I have to dance and the inability to do it "on my own," so to speak, have forced me to realize that dance classes are the way to go.  Hip-hop, swing, bhangra... Why should I be limited just because I can't seem to move on my own?  There's just something about being instructed and having steps "spelled out" for me that works.  Of course, don't you dare pop me into a circle and tell me it's my turn to improvise...

For the non-dancers like me and those of you special people who CAN and/or love to dance already, here's some news that'll keep you on the dance floor:

Aside from the fact that dancing is a form of aerobic exercise, in multiple studies it has been shown to: help maintain memory; improve balance, posture and flexibility; improve heart health; diminish symptoms of depression; provide energy; and relieve stress.  A new study  in Sweden found that girls who took a 75-minute dance class two times per week for eight months rated their health higher than those who did not.  The girls, between the ages of 13 and 18 years, had what is termed "internalizing problems" which may include "a depressed mood, low self-worth or persistent feelings of tiredness."  After participating in the dance classes, girls' self-rating of their own health improved.   

Dancing brings about a freedom whether it be in creating your own moves or letting go of stress and worry.  Not to mention it can be fun, it doesn't require equipment, it can be a social activity (or not), and it isn't age dependent.  Anyone can dance!  (And that is coming from a non-dancer!)

 Look to after-school programs, community centers like the YMCA, around your local neighborhood for opportunities to get your groove on.  And don't forget that you aren't limited to ballet or hip hop.  There's flamenco, bhangra, jazz, tap, belly, salsa, folk, modern, line, swing, or square dancing too!

What's your favorite type of dance?  Share with us!  If you don't know, experiment and find out!


Read more:  
"Bust a move: Dancing may lift teens' mental health" by MyHealthNewsDaily
"Let's Dance to Health" by AARP
"Dancing With The Stars: 8 Great Health Benefits Of Dancing" by Laura Schocker
"9 Health Benefits of Dance" by Madeline Knight

Best Teen Diets recommends healthy well balanced eating that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein and low-fat or fat-free dairy. We offer nutrition information to teens, parents and educators that emphasizes the importance of healthy eating for teens. For more information regarding healthy teens visit www.bestteendiets.org



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts